Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What's all the "bull" about the lightbulb?

Tonight while driving to grab some Starbucks (btw, not normal for me) I was thinking of my current topography project and new art project.  For typography, I have to pick a subject/topic, cut out 9-3inch squares from magazines and tell a story on topic, using only text, while showing various forms of type, texture and weight.  I'll post pix when done!  For art, we have to draw a picture showing symmetry, radial, or pattern based.  Long story short, I realized I was getting upset for a few stupid reasons.  My Typography class, the teacher didn't show us an example, or provide a helpful way of how the assignment should be done. No topics, No requirements.  My art teacher rocks and showed a few examples, but he left it open to draw whatever we want, however we want.  Expand our creativity.  I even remember him saying that he never had a "free for all" for whatever he wanted to draw or paint until his 3rd year @ RIT. 


This is totally different for me.  I'm used to things like writing a code in c++, being told what syntax to use,  putting the code in order and the way it NEEDS to go and getting that one outcome. Same for accounting, and math, and Barf!  Even my daily job is linear.  Tech support is soooooooo linear.  I Think I'v wired myself that way tho, and it's time to get my feet wet and set off those sparks again.  It dawned on me, that I can't get frustrated about this.  This is what being creative is all about I'm realizing.  Creating from nothing.  Receiving very few details and then taking a fantastic voyage through the depths of your mind.....your experiences....your feelings.  Talk about a paradigm shift!


To top the night off, I got home to a interesting, yet very fitting zodiac.


Yup, I'm Taurus....the Bull


You may be involved in a continuing conflict between your job and more personal activities that truly express what's in your heart. But it's challenging to put your efforts on a path that's closer to your passion when you are being rewarded monetarily for the professional work you do. Instead of choosing one over the other, find ways to bring new life into your creative endeavors through self-discipline. Practicing time management should enable you to juggle your calendar and do everything you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment