Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tuesday's Type: Gratifying Graffiti

I'v realized that I need to get some structure to this blog. Best way of structure for someone like me, is of course establishing a routine. Welcome to "Tuesday's Type" (possible change) where I'll choose a typeface a week.  I'll Talk about it a bit, show examples, research & apply some design tips/options, rate it. I'll add whatever I can to make the particular typeface monopolize the week's post. Ok?  Ready. Set. Go!

I went hiking today with friends and we found this area of the park covered with graffiti. My head has been flooded with Art and Typography for the past few weeks.  So I whipped out my phone camera and took pictures and thought this would be the fitting typeface to talk about.


Graffiti comes in many different forms tho. Images and lettering that are painted - usually spray painted - scratched, or marked up all over someone else's property. It's taboo and gets you in trouble without consent of the property owner.  Rebels Rejoice!

Graffiti also has also become pretty intertwined with Hip-Hop culture....and dirty subways.

Here's some examples using a Graffiti style typeface


Use it For

  • Hip-Hop album covers, events, flyers!!
  • Urban atmospheres in design
  • Large flashy attention grabbing ads
  • Great way to emphasize 3D effects
Skip it for
  • It's difficult to read often.....much too often
  • Can't be used for user interfaces on cellphones/tablets 








I'll also be including fonts I talk about for download.  Click here to get the ones displayed....don't go all clickin at once now....:)  Yes, I know the pic sucks, spacing, placement.  I'm The New Guy!  This is warm-up stage still.

Click here if you want the fonts below.
















No comments:

Post a Comment