Friday, November 4, 2011

Posters! Flyers! = $weet $ide job$

When I signed up for typography this semester I had one thing on my mind. Fonts. Actually typeface would be the correct terminology for what was on my mind, which is the design of the letter forms. Font is actually the delivery mechanism. I find it easier to understand in digital terms, like my word processor providing me Helvetica in the bold font so that I can import it to adobe products for a rockin' poster or flyer for as the output. Either way, in this day in age, we all know what we mean when we use the two.  


There is so much more to Typography than typeface and fonts. It's true, watch the movie "Helvetica" (it's on Netflix instant and Youtube now). Typography is all about the style and appearance of something, printed or digital. Pictures are governed by rules of typography, the space you use in, out, and around the letters....all fall under Typography.  


My final project for Typography is to design a World Events poster. My teacher has us using Adobe Illustrator and InDesign, which are all new software products for me. I don't have those products myself, so I'm hittin' the Mac Labs at school as frequently as possible.  


When I think of posters, I'm not gonna lie i think of pictures. This assignment requires we use only typography to express our message. I have definitely  seen many flyers in my day and posters, and these are some examples that I'v been viewing on the web to rattle my brain and get that creativity flowing.



 

 

 

 


Those are some great examples of posters that have no actual image, except for ones made by letters. I want to design posters and flyers like this. Practice makes perfect, even if I'm going for a digital or web format. Bottom line page layout and/or typography are key.


The thing that sucks about the project is that there are 10 topics to choose from, and we can't stray from the list. Topics like...

  • 2011 International Year of Forests
  • March  11, 2011 Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami
  • May 1, 2011, Death of Osama bin Laden
  • April 11, 2011 French legislation bans full-face coverings
  • July 11, 2011 Scandal brings end to The News Of The World


I chose the death of Amy Winehouse :( . I'm also doing an additional topic for extra credit.  Not sure what my 2nd choice will be yet. This project is no joke either, I have sketches, concepts, and the processes used to include, along with it being mounted. 20 sketches due next week.  That's 20 each topic.  Yes.  40.   *whip crack*


I'm starting this project early, and I'm really gonna work hard to impress with these projects so I can include them in a portfolio in the future. You watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment